I started traveling on April 29 and came back here in San Francisco on May 13 as scheduled. It took 2 weeks to drive about 5,600 miles that is longer than the distance between San Francisco and Tokyo.
This trip was just amazing! I can’t forget every single day of this trip.
The Maps and Pics
Here is overview of the trip, which you can experience the highlights with seeing the driving route within 3 minutes. (Please have some patience. It may take for a while to prepare the presentation. I recommend you to see it in full-screen mode.)
The links to each day are as follows:
The total mileage for 14 days was 5,622 miles, which was longer than the distance between San Francisco and Tokyo. (For your reference, it was 6,767 miles during my last road trip from San Diego to Florida.) The number of national parks which I visited this time was 12.
Road Trip Lessons Learned
Here are some of lessons learned from this road trip:
- If you are wondering to find place to stay, you should choose Motel 6.
- Useful application or internet services are Kayak (to find motel), Weather Channel (website, iApp and TV program)
- Needless to say, I couldn’t have such great trip without iPhone and GPS (mine is Garmin).
- You should call 511 to make sure the road is open in this season.
- +8MPH is not acceptable for driving faster than speed limit in state of Idaho
- Subway sandwich is necessary for such a long trip because they are almost everywhere and you can take some vegetable
- Summer in NP usually starts in Memorial Day weekend (End of May)
Maps – Essential to road trip
I like to get guide maps of national parks. They are not only useful, but also good design. National park services are doing great marketing and branding. Guide maps, logos and websites are made as same and consistent design.
State maps show their uniqueness of the state. I did not get the maps, but actually drove in Nevada and Arizona, too. California map is the one I got before. Utah has two kinds of official highway map, somehow…
This song got stuck in my head whenever I saw “beautiful” scenery.
The Simple Map
Drove 5,622 miles on this route.
(Last updated on May 25)